Lunder Shoe Products was founded on January 1, 1959 by brothers in law Jerome L. Gillis and Leonard S. Lunder. Production began in a 5 story factory on Park Street in Saco, Maine, a building which was constructed in 1919. Within the first year of operation, Leonard’s father, Robert Lunder, joined the business. With less than 15 employees, Lunder Shoe Products fabricated bows and stripping for various shoe manufacturers throughout New England and Pennsylvania.
In 1993, Todd Gillis, son of Jerome, became President of the company, and the name was switched to Lunder Manufacturing Inc. In 2003 LMI was able to fund and construct a new, more efficient, single story factory, which is our current location on Spring Hill Road in Saco. The original machines used in production were purchased from Clark Machine Company in Everett, Mass. in 1959. Today, we still use many of these same reliable pieces of equipment, keeping our production process almost unchanged for over 50 years. Now having 35 employees and 4 generations of family management, LMI hopes to continue growing long in to the future while maintaining the hard working and family principles established by our founders.